He had been given the watch on his tenth birthday. It was an ordinary grey plastic wristwatch in every respect except for the fact that it was counting down. “That is all of the time you have left in the world, son. Use it wisely.” And indeed he did.
As the watch ticked away, the boy, now a man, lived life to the fullest. He climbed mountains and swam oceans. He talked and laughed and lived and loved. The man was never afraid, for he knew exactly how much time he had left until he breathed his last.
Eventually, the watch began its final countdown. The old man stood looking over everything he had done, everything he had built in these years.
5. He shook hands with his old business partner, the man who had long been his friend and confidant.
4. His dog came and licked his hand, earning a pat on the head for its companionship.
3. He hugged his son, knowing that he had been a good father.
2. He kissed his wife on the forehead one last time.
1. The old man smiled and closed his eyes.
A whole minute passed. Still nothing happened.
The watch beeped once and turned off. The man stood standing there, very much alive. You would think that in that moment he would have been overjoyed.
Instead, for the first time in his life, the man was scared.